Hear It From Our "HERO'S" - The Albert Team
Why Join Us?
Staff Engineer – API Services
We are hiring for Staff Engineer – API Services:
Albert‘s mission is to foster a software platform which uses big data and machine learning to drastically accelerate the invention of new formulations and novel materials. We are looking for a Staff Engineer to provide leadership to a newly formed team helping reshape our APIs in a developer first company. This role suits those who have a passion for building robust, developer friendly services at scale, enjoy working on API infrastructure as well as helping set API standards and conventions across the organization. The API Services team’s goal is to ensure that our API infrastructure has a wonderful developer experience and is easy to build, test, deploy and scale.
What you’ll do
- Act as a passionate representative of the Albert product and brand
- Provide strong technical leadership, focus on continuous improvement
- Lead a new API Services team designing and implementing APIs across product verticals. Provide architectural guidance impacting adjacent systems like databases and caching infrastructure
- Work in close partnership with your Engineering peers to gather requirements and feedback as well as communicate outwards as a technical leader
- Be responsible for understanding the entire API ecosystem at Albert, work with various engineering teams to build plans for supportability, migration, and evolution of the existing services into micro-services
- Develop API semantics for error handling, authentication, security as well as ensuring consistency across all our REST / GraphQL / gRPC endpoints
- Support our Engineering team to ensure our APIs are well documented, and easy for our customers to discover, use and test
- Build tooling for the infrastructure so that tasks such as automated testing, canary, and blue/green deployments as well as auto-scaling are seamless to our engineers
You will have
- 10+ years of engineering experience, with at least 2 years spent as a technical lead or staff engineer. We believe that there is no substitute in this position for significant time spent in a leadership role.
- Proven experience working on large scale, enterprise API services, involving multi-tenancy, machine learning, microservices, and SQL/NoSQL infrastructure
- Expert knowledge of various API protocols, including REST, GraphQL and gRPC
- Expertise with backend technologies such as NodeJS, Fast API, Swagger and AWS services (Elastic Caching, DynamoDB, MySQL, etc.)
- Track record of leading large scale, company wide API initiatives with broad impact, buy-in and success
- Strong understanding of web and API standards such as HTTP, DNS, Caching and CDN architectures
- Ability to work on infrastructure and CI tools like Terraform, Docker, CircleCI, K6, etc.
- A desire to bring more automation and standards to an Engineering organization
- Ability to lead technically, mentor other engineers and help facilitate the growth of the team through active participation in recruiting and related activities
- Eloquently connecting engineering work and customer value. Not just interested in puzzle-solving, but puzzle-solving with a purpose.